Agios Georgios Agios Georgios / / gallery 
20080602gr14
The rotunda of St. George, built in 306AD as a mausoleum for Roman emperor Galerius (r. 305-11). It was converted into a church by Constantine the Great 15 years later, again to a mosque by the Ottomans in 1590 (with a preserved minaret), then re-consecrated as a church in 1912.
LOCATION: Thessaloniki
DATE: Mon, 02/06/2008
1 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | ... | 23 | ... | 33
« start    < prev    .    next >    end »