Qala'at al-Mirani Qala'at al-Mirani / / gallery 
20060404om07
To the west of the palatial complex is the Al-Mirani Fort, one of two built by the Portuguese in the 1580s to guard the entrance of Muscat's harbour. The Portuguese were expelled from Oman in 1649 not long after the fort was captured by Omani forces: it was renamed Al-Mirani, a corruption of "Admiral".
LOCATION: Muscat
DATE: Tue, 04/04/2006
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
« start    < prev    .    next >    end »